29 June 2014

Updates! Bookcase, Window Seat, Small Nursery Updates and the Guest Room

Baby Watch 2014 is ongoing. Silas is now three days late and counting. I have crossed off everything on my Pre-baby To-do List, and everything on the If-I-have-time Pre-baby To-do List, and even everything on the I'm-now-wasting-time Pre-baby To-do List. I know this is a good thing -- we are as prepared as we can be (I hope!) and now just get to wait and have a little down time, but that doesn't make us any less impatient.

In any case, I have a few more updates for you. First up is the office bookcase. Isaac and I designed it and Isaac and his dad built it when they were down in April. It is not finished; it's still currently bare wood and empty, but the structure is there.

We knew we wanted to build in our grandfather clock (it's a family heirloom from Isaac's grandfather) and the two card catalogs (also from Isaac's grandparents). I came up with two designs using Google SketchUp (it's free!). The models have the correct dimensions, so it gave us a good idea of what it would look like in the room.



I made the first one because I was afraid that the three full towers would be too imposing in the room, but once I saw the full room, I actually really liked it.


Then came the building. Isaac's dad snapped the pictures below and edited them into this progression.


And now for what it looks like currently.


The only structural thing missing are the arches. They are still in the plans, but obviously just aesthetic, so not crucial. Also, see the closed-in box below the clock? That will actually be a litter box.



Eventually, that middle handle will be replaces with recessed handles in the baseboard (also not attached).

As I was snapping pictures, I realized I never blogged about the window seat we built. How crazy! This was probably the biggest building project Isaac and I have taken on. It's currently covered in all the books and miscellaneous items that were in the bookcases we had in this room before, so it's not really very pretty, currently. But here it is!


Each of those squares is a door. We are storing all of our movies and TV series inside. Eventually, we will add a long cushion to the top of the seat and curtains to the windows. But first, we have to finish the bookcase so that all those books have a home.


And that's the office progress so far! Still a ways to go (we still have to build the desk!), but much further along than before. Woo!

Ok, two other quick-ish updates. The nursery now has bookcases!


The stain isn't quite dry yet, so I haven't filled them, and we need to anchor them (and the other furniture in the room) to the wall. Also note the fox quilt on the back of the chair.


And the nightstand got a plant and a coaster! The plant was on the Wasting-time To-do List.

And finally, the guest room. We have added art, a new bed and nightstands.

The picture above the bed was actually an oops picture I took last year when I was in Vegas for a conference. I was standing in front of the fountains at the Bellagio trying to take a picture of the strip, and instead of changing the setting I wanted to, I ended up accidentally snapping a picture of the water. But I thought it was pretty!

Oh, and please ignore the un-styled pillows I meant to fix them before I took pictures, but obviously my pregnancy brain took over and I didn't.


The thing leaning up against the wall is a luggage rack. The two water colors were done by Isaac's grandfather.



There are still quite a few things I want to do in here. I'd like to find smaller lamps for the side tables, and I'd like to refinish the hope chest and mirror (below) in a darker color. And the "BURNS" photo prints (from Isaac's sister) needs to actually be hung on the wall. But I'm happy with how it's coming along.


And I think that's all the updates we have for now!

Aaaaand, blogging these updates was officially the last thing on the Wasting-time List. Crap. Now what do I do?

1 comment:

  1. You inspired me to blog! But yours is upbeat and has a ton of pretty pictures. You win. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive