20 July 2012

(Trying not to be) Discouraged.

Well, friends, it seems I have hit a brick wall with our mantle.  It is cleaned, patched and ready to paint ... but there is where I am stuck.  See, I don't want to paint it white.  There is already two large (for the space, anyway) white wooden pieces in the room, the TV stand and the coffee table.  The mantle, which will also be large, is right by both of them, and having it white would just be too much.

I sent this (cell phone) picture to Beth last night.


See what I mean?  It's already a lot of white paint, and the mantle is much larger than the existing frame.

But see those three paint colors?  I don't love them.  I'm not even sure I like them.  The darkest one is too bold, and the lighter ones blend into the wall.  We have looked at probably 50 different paint chips, and these were the best of them.

Ugh.

My leading idea is to get a color a few shades darker than the wall, but I don't even know how to start doing that.  Google tells me that adding black to a paint color often makes it an icky gray color, rather than just a darker shade; can Home Depot or Lowe's take a shade and darken it?  I guess I'll just have to go and ask.

But even if I make it work, I don't know that I'll like it!  But I can't think of any other color that will work.  We considered rust, but the ones that are far enough away from red are too brown (read: dark) for the space.

I repeat: ugh.

I'm discouraged.  It's the first time with the house that I simply don't know what to do.  I know in the long run, it's not a big deal at all - not for the house, certainly not in the Big Picture life stuff - but I was so excited about this mantle, and now I don't know what to do with it.

So to help myself out of my discouragement, I decided to go back and see where we started.  Here are pictures from shortly after we moved in.



And today.


When I look at the old pictures, they seem like they were from another home.  So we have made progress.  I need to remember that.

Oh, and since I haven't shown any pictures of the pets recently (photobombs like the one above don't count), I'll show you Marbles's favorite place to be.


He is so bad.  Like, lucky-he's-so-darn-cute-or-we-would-wring-his-furry-little-neck bad.  At least he matches our appliances?

Have a good weekend, y'all.

4 comments:

  1. You have come SO far! Those before & after pictures are great reminders of that. I think you should see if Lowe's or Home Depot have suggestions about darkening -- that's a really good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about painting the mantel white and paint the TV stand another color? I could see a big pop of color. I think red to match the lamp or maybe even blue or teal. Just an idea. I think darkening is a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I thought about repainting the TV stand, Jacklyn ... and I had even decided it would be the deep coral-ly red color as the lamp! But honestly, I *just* got the TV stand done ... the thought of repainting it makes me want to cry! So I think I may start with the mantle a darker shade of the green, and if I hate it, I may tackle the stand again.

      Thanks for the great idea - I'm glad I wasn't crazy for thinking it too! :)

      Delete
  3. I really like your blog dear!
    Keep going with the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive