01 April 2012

Pass the Advil, please.

The garden is in! 




I tilled the ground, then mixed in garden soil and top soil (22 square feet total ... so a lot of dirt), then planted beans and potatoes.  I have the broccoli, peppers and watermelon started inside.  In the second picture, you can see that the right side of the garden is a little darker (from being watered).  As you can kind of see in the first picture, we also started clearing out the back corner of the yard.  All the mess from where we felled the tree last Thanksgiving was still hanging out, so we needed to clear it and bag the mess so we can hopefully get some grass growing back there.


I was a bit sore last night, since I worked muscles tilling and clearing that hadn't been used in a while.  But then, today came.  We started by finishing the back corner (no before-and-after pics - sorry!), then we tackled the jungle.  


Didn't know we had a jungle?  We've been hiding it.





There's a landscaping circle in the front yard that is, to give a conservative evaluation, overgrown.  

The above pictures not convincing enough?  Here's a closeup. 

Scary, right?
Actually, this is a little better than it was; Isaac had already taken out the rock circle (that was mostly buried at this point anyway) and the two unwieldy rose buses.  Anyway, I'm sure at some point, this was a beautifully arranged flowerbed, but now ... jungle.  So it had to go.  We dragged out the hoe, rake, shovels, lopers ... all the big guns, and dove in.  An hour and a half later, it looked like this.





Not quite all the way, but a heckuva lot better already.  We are planning on taking out the rest, then replacing it with a dwarf magnolia tree.  We'll seed the rest with grass.  It will be much cleaner looking ... and no maintenance, once both are established.  Woo!


Now, between the garden tilling and clearing yesterday, and the clearing and hoeing/shoveling/raking today, I . am. sore.  I'm dreading tomorrow morning.  

I did save a couple of plants, though.  Remember the sad little story about the flower I tried to transplant?  Well, my wonderful father-in-law called to tell me that it was a hyacinth, and that I didn't kill it, I just killed it this year.  So good to know!  Because it's a perennial, the bulb could be saved and planted to come up again next year.  He also told me - and I'm really excited about this one too - that the white flowers from the same post were some kind of daffodil, and that I could do the same with them.  So I dug them up and put them in a bucket.  I don't know where I want them to go yet, so they are now living next to the hyacinth on our back porch.  The hyacinth is in a budweiser pitcher, and the daffodils are in a five-gallon bucket.  We're classy like that.


There's still more to do outside, though.  Check out the left side of the front of our house ... 


And then look at the right ...

The puppy, doing what she does.

Yeah, those are some dead bushes.  More roots to dig out.  Just what I wanted.

But I don't want to think about that.  I'll leave you with some more pretty flowers that are blooming in our back yard.  I don't know what they are ... Garry, can you fill me in?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive