24 March 2012

Photoshop Fun (Before & Afters!)

Back story 1: Two years ago for Christmas, my husband got me Photoshop Elements 9.  While I am certainly not an expert (most of the time, I don't even know what I'm doing), I do have to admit that I love tinkering with pictures.  I generally use the quick automatic fixes built in to PsE, or I use filters and actions that I have found free online ... basically, I cheat.  The best collection of actions I've found is this one from Pioneer Woman.  These from The CoffeeShop Blog are also great.  Installing the actions is confusing, but there are tons of tutorials out there.  I like this one.

Back story 2: Isaac and I decided to go with some oversized art over the fireplace.  We already have the floating shelves, and we're planning a small cluster on the other wall, so one big piece made the most sense.  So I spent weeks looking through art.com, allposters.com, and googling around for the best (and, let's be honest, the cheapest) places for oversized art.  Weeks looking, I tell you.  I found a few things I liked, but apparently Isaac and I have different tastes in most art.  So we turned to our own pictures.  Which meant that I dove into my pictures folder full force, looking for something personal that would also work in our living room.

(Side story 1: I originally thought that, as wonderful as our camera is, the quality wasn't good enough for an oversized print.  While that's kind of true, a quick search taught me that PsE has the ability to resize pictures to a much larger size using the bicubic function.  I have no idea what that means, but it works.)

Which brings me to the story of today.

Once I started looking for a picture that would work for our living room, I discovered tons of pictures that we had taken over the past couple years that I loved, but that had sat in a folder collecting figurative dust.  I decided it was time to take them out and clean them up (see what I did there?).  So for the past two weeks, I've been editing picture after picture, some of which I have no idea what to do with, but I love.  Here are some of my favorites.

This was taken on Ocracoke Island with a disposable camera.


More Ocracoke.


First night of our honeymoon, sailing away from Miami.


Honeymoon; some random structure in Nassau.


Honeymoon; pretty flower at the Atlantis resort.
A really subtle change on this one.
Honeymoon; rope bridge over hammerhead sharks at Atlantis.

Zebras at NC Zoo!



Gulls at Kure Beach. 

The puppy!


Now, for the final big reveal: our over-the-fireplace picture.  After editing tons of pictures, this one stood out as the perfect one for our room.  I like the colors, the composition, the meaning.  The picture is of a flock of (a school of?) baby stingrays that we took while touring the Atlantis resort on our honeymoon.

Before:

After:

I know it's probably not everyone's cup of tea; it's a little quirky ... or maybe just a little strange.  But I printed out a small version of it and taped it above the fireplace, and I love it.  Isaac says he does too (though, I think he likes it more because it's a personal picture than because of what is actually in it).

What do you think?  Quirky and fun?  Or just simply weird?


1 comment:

  1. I need to buy Photoshop. Also, I don't think I knew you *took* that last picture! I'm not sure how I missed that. Did you find a frame?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive