24 February 2011

A tale of a haircut

So it's been over a month again.  Whoops.  In my defense, we really haven't done anything in the house.  We've been too busy ... and too indecisive about some things (can you believe it took us a month and a half to pick out a rug?).  But that will change soon!  There is a rug on the way, we have a paint color tester, and we bought a buffet table for the dining room!  So look for lots of pictures (and posts!) in the coming months.

For now, I have a story about something that has nothing to do with our house.  It has to do with my hair.

Less than a month after we got married, I donated my hair to Locks of Love.  I ended up with a super-short pixie cut - something that I had always wanted to try.  And despite the fact that not everyone loves it (*cough* hi mom *cough*), I really, really do.  It's so fun!  And easy!  It takes approximately 30 seconds to fix.  That's including washing it!  I've actually gotten it cut twice: once in October, and then again in December, right before Christmas.  I wanted to look good for the holidays!

This is right after my December cut.
The problem is, I'm cheap.  And my salon is wonderful (Salon Moxie here in Raleigh) and the pricing isn't outrageous by salon standards (a standard wash and cut is $45, plus tip), it is outrageous by my standards.  Especially since, with this cut, I have to get it cut every four to six weeks.  With long hair, I would go six months or longer.  So that alone makes me want to go back to long hair.

Also, my salon lets me get "fringe trims" (in between trims that keep a haircut looking fresh - for some women, that's trimming the bangs; for me, it's around my neck so I don't grow a mullet) for free!  I still tip, but I have now had three or four fringe trims and didn't pay the salon a dime.  Nice, right?  So I've been doing that every four weeks since December.

The problem is, now I'm getting the itch to cut it again.  It's just starting to get awkward -

See?    

- and it's getting harder and harder to wait it out. 

And that brings us to the end of this really self-absorbed blog post.  So, reader s , what should I do?

Finally, just to keep the house-themed blog still going, here's a shot of our new buffet.  We're still talking about what to do with it (stain it? paint it?), but for now, we're enjoying it as-is.  We bought it at this great used furniture store downtown - a place we will be visiting again and again, I'm sure.

Isn't she pretty?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if you should cut your hair or grow it out... but I hate that awkward phase!! Poor you.

    And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your buffet. You have to paint it. It's beautiful!

    Maybe if you wait long enough we can paint it together if I visit this summer? WHEN I visit this summer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We say let your hair grow to at least shoulder length.

    And, stain the table, it may take a little longer, but it would be prettier than paint. We can help when we come down!!!

    LOVE YOU GUYS! Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help with the salon (I'm still looking for a good one, too), but I love your hair short!

    I also love your buffet! Where did you end up going? We're always looking for neat furniture places.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive